Allowable and Non-Allowable Costs Guidance
Allowable and Non-Allowable Costs
3. Specific Cost Guidance by Category
3.34. Publication and printing costs
Ref: 2 CFR Part 200, §200.461.
Publication costs for electronic and print media, including distribution, promotion, and general handling are allowable. If these costs are not identifiable with a particular cost objective, they should be allocated as indirect costs to all benefiting activities of the College.
Page charges for professional journal publications are allowable where:
- The publications report work
supported by the Federal Government; and
- The charges are levied impartially on all items
published by the journal, whether or not under a Federal award.
- The College may charge
the Federal award before closeout for the costs of publication or sharing of research results if
the costs are not incurred during the period of performance of the Federal award.
Page charges for professional journal publications are allowable as a necessary part of research costs where:
- The research papers report work supported by the Federal Government: and
- The charges are levied impartially on all research papers published by the journal, whether
or not by federally sponsored authors.